Microfiche Scanning and Microfilm Scanning
Scanning and conversion of all types of microfilms, cartridges and microfiche to PDF, Searchable PDF, TIFF and JPG formats.
In their time, microfilm and microfiche offered the best possible storage and archive solution before the computer and digital age really came into play. Now it is becoming an out-dated method of storage with the digital technology taking over and therefore offering more economical, secure and fast access to digitised documents.
Whether you use them to store documents, drawings, parts catalogues, newspapers, company records or anything else, we can digitise those files for you.
- microfilm roll
- cartridge microfilm,
- jacket microfiches
- microfiche slides/sheets
Types of Microfiche/Microfilm We Scan
Our microfiche conversion and microfilm conversion department can digitise any type or size of microfilm, cartridge or microfiche as below:
16mm Microfiche [Jacketed, or Diazo Copy]
- Used to archive A3/A4 documents
- Size is 6 x 4 inches.
- When full contains typically 98 frames of data
- Often used to archive large engineering plans, building/construction plans and newspapers
- Size is 6 x 4 inches
- Can hold 12-15 pages per microfiche
- Contains both 16mm and 35mm images
- Mainly used in the building industry and local authorities
- Size is 6 x 4 inches, contains mixture of A3/A4 documents and plans
COM Microfiche (Computer Output to Microfiche)
- Used in a corporate environment to store and archive mainframe or computer generated reports and data
- Widely used in the vehicle manufacturing industry to archive parts lists, catalogues, reports, payroll data, etc.
- Size is 6 x 4 inches, contains up 270 pages per microfiche
16mm Microfilm Reel / Roll / Spool
- Used to archive A3/A4 documents
- Standard microfilm typically contains average 2,400 images
35mm Microfilm Reel / Roll / Spool
- Used to archive large format drawings, architectural plans and newspapers
- Standard microfilm typically contains between 500 - 700 images
Microfilm Cartridge / Cassettes
- Same as 16mm and 35mm Microfilm specification, but housed in a cassette / cartridge format
Our Microfiche Scanning and Microfilm Scanning Approach
We have the infrastructure to handle all different sizes, types and volumes of microfiche and microfilm. We cater for small to large microfilm and microfiche archives, from scanning, conversion, printing, copying to paper or disk format.
For businesses who are looking to scan and convert large archive of their microfilm or microfiche we provide Halogen which is an open source, free of charge document archive and retrieval software.
How the Scanning Process Works
Fast and Secure Collection Service
We can collect your microfilm and microfiche from anywhere in UK the same or the next day as required.
The Microfiche Scanning/Microfilm Scanning Process
We utilise only the latest in microfiche scanners at our scanning bureau which produce impeccable scan quality and accurate images at impressive speeds to deliver quick turnaround. Pearl Scan microfiche scanning and conversion bureau can convert your microfiche into organised digital files and store them onto either CD's or DVD's, so they can be viewed, printed, emailed and shared amongst other users on a PC or laptop.
OCR - Conversion to Fully Text Searchable Format
In addition to our scanning microfiche and microfilm to electronic formats such as PDF, TIFF or JPEG; we can also convert scanned images to text searchable PDF files by applying OCR (Optical Character Recognition). In addition to the text searchable PDF feature, OCR can also be used to convert microfilm and microfiche scanned images [only printed pages] into fully editable Microsoft Word, Excel and Access, CSV or ASCII text files, XML and HTML files.
Advantages of Scanning Microfilm and Microfiche
Eliminate the need of reader-printer
The ever breaking and costly to maintain microfilm microfiche reader can be removed as well as the cost of consumables and maintenance can be eliminated.
Instant and Easy Access
It is fast and easy to search through masses of scanned documents than trying to locate the microfilm or microfiche and then using a microfilm/fiche reader to search for the required document or piece of information.
Access from anywhere and anytime
As more and more people and organisation operating from multiple locations and times - digital archive of microfilm or microfiche offer best location and time flexibility.
Document Sharing and Distribution
It is much more flexible with the scanned and converted digital images to share and distribute between different users.
Compared to physical storage and retrieval of documents from microfilm or microfiche, it is proven to be much more cost effective to store and retrieve documents digitally
Improves productivity and efficiency
Efficiency rises and productivity improves significantly as documents are faster and easier to find.
Boosts staff morale
Staff with expanding workloads will feel better with a simpler system that allows them to get more done in less time.
Gives back much needed space
As the need for the microfilm or microfiche cabinets and the reader-printer storage space is no longer required, the space can reclaimed for other business use.
As microfilm and microfiche deteriorate with time, vital information can be lost over a period of time – digital archive can reliant on for long term backup and archive.
Reduced use of microfilm and resources that helps the environment and bolsters your green credentials.
Document and data security
Data is much more secure and easy to safe guard in electronic / digital format than the hard copy archive of microfilm or microfiche based storage medium.
Why should you chose Pearl Scan for your microfiche scanning and digitising needs?
Here are a few reasons why you should consider Pearl Scan scanning and conversion services:
- A decade of experience working with the most reputable companies in the UK
- Creative and friendly team of professionals who are easy to approach
- Custom built scanning bureau around security, safety, confidentiality and scalability
- One-stop service for all micromedia scanning and digital conversion needs
- Infrastructure to support small-to-large projects
- Free document management software. Read about Halogen
- Backed up by external quality and security audits
- Fully supported services and management system throughout the UK
- Our scanning operation have been audited and approved by many NHS, Local Authorities, Private blue chip companies to ISO 9001 (Quality Management System), ISO 27001 (Information Management System) and EMS 14001 (Environment Management System) and Data Protection 1998.
- Create more office space by removing any boxes of film reels and drawers of microfiche slides.
- Historic public records could even be uploaded online for the public to view which saves time on retrieving records at the office.
- Microfiche scanning London, microfiche scanning Manchester, microfilm scanning London, microfilm scanning Manchester