Digitising your books is the best way to create digital reproductions of your favourite texts. With the introduction of the iPad, Kindle, e-reader and similar tablet devices, the book scanning and digitisation market has grown in popularity by 100% as more and more people are putting down the books and picking up a tablet.
Whether you have historical, heritage bound book, newspapers or the latest full-colour glossy magazines; at Pearl Scan we take extreme care in handling your books when scanning or digitising your material and converting to your required digital format, such as PDF, Kindle and Ms. Word.
Our book scanning service
We have a specialist team who are experienced and dedicated to digitising your valuable collection of books to your required format. We offer two key digitisation methods, scanning bound books and scanning unbound books and we have the most advanced scanners which can produce high resolution images of your books.
OCR can be applied to scanned images to convert them to searchable or editable text. Continue reading about Optical Character Recognition Processing.
The first thing to consider when getting book(s) scanned is the type of scanning you would like. You will sometimes get these two choices across the industry but many companies only offer the destructive option. Typically we scan the following formats:
- Rare and fragile
- Large format
- Bound volume
- Comic books
Unbound book Scanning
Also known as destructive scanning method
Though not as harsh as it may initially sound, unbound or destructive book scanning will involve the removal or 'slicing' of the spine of the book. The spine or staples will be removed and the pages will be processed through one of our document feed scanners.
- There is a lower cost for this service
- The process is very fast
- Results can be clearer (depending on level of detail in the book itself)
Bound book Scanning
Also known as non-destructive scanning method
Bound book scanning (also known as in-tact scanning) is exactly as it sounds. Books are scanned in the condition in which they arrive on one of our upright overhead book scanners and we use technology specifically made to cater for bound books and magazines, whether delicate, rare or in perfect condition.
- Books remain in the same condition in which we received them
- Books are exposed to considerably less light than other scanning methods, for those concerned about heat generated by the scanner lamps
- Ideal if your book is one-off, rare, valuable or has high sentimental value
Formats we can transfer your book to:
We offer a wide range of services to scan books in order to offer you a choice of formats to convert your books to. These include the very latest e-book formats as well as classic formats such as PDF and searchable PDF; and conversion to Microsoft Word so the content can be edited and sent to be republished (if you wish).
Here are the most common formats we can convert your book to:
We can scan books to PDF format which is viewable on computers, mobiles and tablet devices.
PDF Searchable format
Like a standard PDF, but all the text contained will be readable and searchable on your computer for searching.
Microsoft Word format
Converting to Word enables you to edit the content of the publications and prepare for further printing in the future.
Book to Amazon Kindle
This is the most popular e-Book format as the Kindle is the most popular e-reader around.
The .ePub is the most widely recognised e-book format and is used by thousands of e-readers across the world.
iPad or iPhone
The popular iBooks platform is exclusive to the iPad and iPhone, Apple's multi-million selling tablet devices.
Digital Flipping Book
With the fully interactive Flippage format, you can display your files and brochures online or send them on disks.
By having your book converted to HTML, this allows you to display it online as a functional website.
XML provides an underlying technology that makes your information portable across platforms, and applications.
Rare Book Scanning Service
The greatest of care is taken when it comes to the scanning, digitisation and digital preservation of older, more delicate and hard to find books. These books can also be scanned to PDF as well as editable formats such as MS Word. We place the requirements around the condition of the books and the speed in which we process them can be reduced to make absolutely sure that the books remain in the same condition that they came to us in.
Of course, we treat all the books we scan with the greatest of respect but we understand that there will always be a few cases that need special attention. We use only our most experienced scanners to complete this work and they will always wear gloves to protect the pages and print of your books, which is all part of our rare book scanning service.
We use state of the art, specialised, overhead liner book scanners to scan and capture bound, rare, historical, out of prints and fragile books, magazines and journals. The books are carefully scanned and the images captured. We can scan either in colour, black and white or greyscale as necessary (depending on the nature of the books, contents, e.g. pictures, text, illustrations, drawings etc). Once scanned, the images are then processed and converted to the required image formats such as PDF, Text Searchable PDF, ASCII Text, Ms Word, XML, HTML and even Excel for directories. They are then supplied on a required storage medium such as CD or USB.
We deal with hundreds of rare and one-off books per year and have been trusted with books from right back in the 16th century up to the present day. With Pearl Scan Solutions you can be assured that we will treat your books and scanning with the greatest of respect.
Why choose Pearl for your book scanning?
Here are a few reasons why you should consider Pearl Scan to scan your books:
- We have a decade of experience working with the most reputable companies in the UK
- We are a creative and friendly team of professionals who are easy to approach
- We have a custom built scanning bureau focussed on security, safety, confidentiality and scalability
- We offer a one-stop service for all your book scanning and digital conversion
- We have the infrastructure to support small-to-large, quick-to-long terms projects
- We are backed up by external quality and security audits
- We offer fully supported services and management system throughout the UK
- Our scanning operations have been audited and approved by many NHS, Local Authorities, Private blue chip companies to ISO 9001 (Quality Management System), ISO 27001 (Information Management System) and EMS 14001 (Environment Management System) and Data Protection 1998.
- Here at Pearl Scan, we know how to scan a book to suit your needs so get in touch today for a free, no obligation quote.
- We are a scanning bureau based in Manchester with sales offices in London and Birmingham.
- We cater for a large range of projects from one-off scanning of one book or manuscript to large digitisation and conversion of your collection.
Read related articles about Book Scanning:
- Modernising Your Book Library
- Taking Magazines Beyond Paper
- Converting Your Book to ePub – A Short Guide
- Convert Books to Kindle
- 3 Reasons You Should Convert Your Book to eBook
More questions? visit our FAQ page.
The Scan-do Peopletm
For more information feel free to give us a call:
Nationwide: 0845 22 55 923 London: 0207 183 1885
Manchester: 0161 832 7991 Birmingham: 0121 285 1900
More questions? visit our FAQ page.