Digitising your books is the best way to create digital reproductions of your favourite texts. With the increasing popularity of Kindles, iPads and other e-readers and tablet devices, the book scanning and digitisation market has grown in popularity by 100% as more and more people are putting down the books and picking up a tablet.
Whether you have historical, heritage bound books, newspapers or the latest full-colour glossy magazines, at Pearl Scan we take extreme care in handling your books during the book scanning process and converting to your required digital format, such as PDF, Kindle and Ms Word.
Our book scanning service is used by:
Scan your books for easier access and let your work be easily read around the world.
Convert new editions and back lists and re-publish books to sell them online.
Scan large book collections to a secure but accessible format for others to view.
Create a safe and secure digital archive to preserve rare and historical books.
Scan textbooks to relieve back strain and speed up essay writing.
Scan books to PDF, Kindle, Word and more to bring the digital benefits to you.
Pearl Scan Book Scanning Service
We have a specialist book scanning team who is experienced and dedicated to digitising your valuable collection of books to any required format. We offer two key digitisation methods; scanning bound books and scanning unbound books, and we boast the most advanced scanners which can produce high resolution images of your books.
OCR can be applied to scanned images to convert them to searchable or editable text. Find out more about Optical Character Recognition Processing.
The first thing to consider when getting book(s) scanned is the type of scanning you would like. You will sometimes get two choices across the industry, but many companies only offer the destructive option. Typically we scan the following formats:
- Rare and fragile
- Large format
- Bound volume
- Comic books
Why Should You Scan Your Books?
- Archiving and preservation purposes
- Ensuring a digital copy of the publication is available
- Easier access to your libraries
- Ability to search through pages quicker
- Digitise to share or sell online
- Reduce the weight of carrying books
- Scan for republication purposes
- Scan to downsize
- Scan to re edit text
Unbound Book Scanning
Also Known As Destructive Scanning Method
Although not as harsh as it may initially sound, unbound or destructive book scanning will involve the removal or 'slicing' of the spine of the book. The spine or staples will be removed and the pages will be processed through one of our document feed scanners.
- There is a lower cost for this service.
- The process is very fast.
- Results can be clearer (depending on level of detail in the book itself).
Bound Book Scanning
Also Known As Non-Destructive Scanning Method
Bound book scanning (also known as intact scanning) is exactly as it sounds – the opposite to unbound book scanning. Books are scanned in the condition in which they arrive on one of our upright overhead book scanners. We use technology specifically made to cater for bound books and magazines, whether delicate, rare or in perfect condition.
- Books remain in the same condition in which they were received
- Books are exposed to considerably less light than other scanning methods, for those concerned about the heat generated by the scanner lamps
- Ideal if your book is one-off, rare, valuable or has high sentimental value
Rare Book Scanning Service
The greatest of care is taken when it comes to the scanning, digitisation and digital preservation of older, more delicate and hard to find books. These books can also be scanned to PDF as well as editable formats such as MS Word. We place the requirements around the condition of the books, while the speed in which we process them can be reduced to make absolutely sure the books remain in the same condition they came to us in.
We treat all the books we scan with the greatest of respect, but do understand that there will always be a few cases that need special attention. We use only our most experienced scanners to complete this work and ensure they always wear gloves in order to protect the pages and print of your books, which is all part of our rare book scanning service.
We use state-of-the-art, specialised, overhead liner book scanners to scan and capture bound, rare, historical, out of print and fragile books, magazines and journals. The books are carefully scanned and the images captured either in colour, black and white or greyscale as necessary. Once scanned, the images are then processed and converted to the required image formats, such as PDF, Text Searchable PDF, ASCII Text, Ms Word, XML, HTML and even Excel for directories. They are then supplied on a required storage medium such as CD or USB.
We deal with hundreds of rare and one-off books per year and have been trusted with books, dating from the 16th century, right up to the present day. With Pearl Scan Solutions you can be assured that we will treat your books with the greatest of respect throughout the scanning process.
Scanning Service For Writers
Are you stuck with just a hard copy of your book? Do you want more people to see your work? Book scanning can help you take steps to launching your work online and let you send it to publishers and third parties in seconds.
Pearl Scan can give your books a new world of possibilities!
Why Are Writers Scanning Their Books:
- To preserve a digital copy of their work
- To self-publish their work online
- To republish in a digital format
- To send to third parties, such as publishers, editors, agents etc.
- To display on websites
- To access their work quickly and easily
- To make additional edits
Why Choose Pearl Scan For Your Book Scanning Services?
Here are a few reasons why you should consider Pearl Scan to scan your books:
- We have a decade of experience working with the most reputable companies in the UK.
- We are a creative and friendly team of professionals who are easy to approach.
- We have a custom built scanning bureau focussed on security, safety, confidentiality and scalability.
- We offer a one-stop service for all your book scanning and digital conversion needs.
- We have the infrastructure to support small-to-large and quick-to-long term projects.
- We are backed up by external quality and security audits.
- We offer fully supported services and management systems throughout the UK.
- Our scanning operations have been audited and approved by many NHS, Local authorities, private blue chip companies to ISO 9001 (Quality Management System), ISO 27001 (Information Management System) and EMS 14001 (Environment Management System) and Data Protection 1998.
- We offer free, no obligation quotes.
- We cater for a large range of projects from one-off scanning of one book or manuscript to large digitisation and conversion of your collection.