It has been announced that World Paper Free Day will take place on the 6th of November.
AIIM are calling on everyone, particularly offices, up and down the UK to go paper-free for one day only.
October has seen many partake in various acts of ‘cold turkey’ including Stop-tober and Sober October, lasting a month without certain life staples. As we approach November, World Paper Free Day is asking for just one day of avoiding the paper but it could still make a huge difference.
So here are the facts, and they are pretty astonishing:
- 12.5 Million tonnes of paper and cardboard are used annually in the UK
- It takes 24 trees to make 1 ton of newspaper
- The average UK office worker uses 1584 sheets of paper per month
- That’s a shocking 54 sheets of paper A DAY!
- Which is equivalent to 2 whole trees a year
Just by stopping to think “Do I really need to print that?” you can save your office time, money and space as well as helping contribute to a greener and more sustainable society.
Let’s talk money…
In an office of 100 staff, 170 trees worth of paper is used every year.
£30,000-40,000 is spent printing those documents which equates to £300-400 per employee.
By asking your staff to go paperless, you could save £80 a day from printing and for larger offices you are looking at a much larger saving.
But it’s not all about the money…
Let’s forget about the money side of things for a moment and look at the bigger impact going paperless can have.
You will reduce the amount of waste your office produces which, even just for a day, can have a massive impact. If all offices went paperless for a day, fewer trees would be needed to produce the paper to replace it. In the future, if offices decided to continue making an effort to reduce their paper usage, forests could thrive. We don’t always remember the importance of trees when we waste paper but they literally produce the oxygen that we breathe. Without any trees, we would no longer have naturally-produced oxygen to breathe…
Ok, so maybe that’s being a little too dramatic. So let’s look at how your office could benefit from reducing paper.
AIIM have presented their ways of reducing paper but we think we, here at Pearl Scan, could be of help too:
Pearl Scan Document Scanning Services
- You can get your existing documents scanned into a system to be easily accessed from anywhere at any time.
- Switching to digital documents rather than printed and filed versions will improve efficiency.
- You will save the costs of storing documents, whether that’s in an outsourced storage unit or in a room of your offices that could be utilised in better ways.
- You can dispose of documents through recycling and shredding which will free up space in your office.
- There will be no worry about the safety of your documents as they will be held in our secure document scanning premises.
We can help you go paperless for World Paper Free Day and beyond. You can make your pledge for World Paper Free Day by stating why you or your company feel it is important to reduce paper usage. If we have inspired you to ditch the paper then please tweet us @pearlscan using the hashtag #WPFD.
If you’re interested in finding out more about our document scanning solutions or getting a quote, call us on 0845 225 5923.