Small to large volume | Rare and Antiquarian archive scanning | Scan to PDF | Word | Kindle
Book Scanning Service
Whether you have historical, heritage bound books, newspapers or the latest full-colour glossy magazines; at Pearl Scan we take extreme care in handling your books when scanning or digitising your material and convert to your required digital format e.g PDF, Kindle and Ms. Word. We are a scanning bureau based in Manchester with sale offices in London and Birmingham. We cater for one-off scanning of one book or manuscript to large digitisation and conversion of your collection.
Book scanning is the best way to create digital reproductions of your favourite books. With the introduction of the iPad, Kindle, e-reader and similar tablet devices, the book scanning and digitisation market has grown in popularity by 100% as more and more people are putting down the books and picking up a tablet.
Our book scanning approach
We have specialist team dedicated to digitise your valuable collection of books etc. to your required format. We have the most advanced scanners which can produce high resolution images of your books.
We offer two key digitisation methods (bound book scanning and un-bound book scanning) by using latest scanning equipment. We can collect nationwide and return your books as quick as 24-hour notice period or you can choose to dispatch your books to our scanning bureau.
How does book scanning and digitization work?
The first thing to consider when getting book(s) scanned is the type of scanning you would like. This is a typical option across the industry albeit that many companies only offer the destructive option. Typically we scan the following formats:
- Old book scanning
- Rare and fragile book scanning
- Large format book scanning
- Bound volume book scanning
- Magazine scanning
- Newspaper scanning
- Manuals scanning
- Comic book scanning
- Manuscript scanning
Unbound | Destructive Book Scanning Method
Though not as harsh as it may initially sound, unbound or destructive book scanning will involve the removal or 'slicing' of the spine of the book. The spine or staples will be removed and the pages will be processed through one of our document feed scanners.
- The service is at a lower cost
- The process is very fast
- Results can be clearer (depending on level of detail in the book itself)
Bound | Non-Destructive Book scanning Method
Bound book scanning (also known as in-tact scanning) is exactly as it sounds. Books are scanned in the condition in which they arrive on one of our upright overhead book scanners, using technology specifically made to cater for bound books and magazines, whether delicate, rare or in perfect condition.
- Books remain in the same condition in which we receive them
- Books are exposed to considerably less light than other scanning methods for those concerned about heat generated by the scanner lamps
- Ideal if your book is one-off, rare, valuable or has high sentimental value
Book scanning process
Depending on your preferred book scanning method we will begin the scanning process. We will scan and digitise your books to digital image format e.g. TIFF, Un-compressed TIFF, PDF, Jpeg etc.
OCR (Optical Character Recognition) Processing and Conversion
OCR can be applied to scanned images to convert them to searchable or editable text. Read more about OCR.
Formats that we scan to
We offer a wide range of book scanning services and conversion solutions in order to offer you a choice of formats to convert your books to. These include the very latest e-book formats as well as classic formats such as PDF and searchable PDF; and conversion to Microsoft Word so the content can be edited and sent to be republished (if you wish).
Here are the most common formats we can convert your book to:
We can scan books to PDF format which is viewable on computers, mobiles and tablet devices.
Like a standard PDF, but all the text contained will be readable and searchable on your computer for searching.
Converting to Word, enables you to edit the content of the publications and prepare for further printing in the future.
Amazon Kindle format
The most popular e-Book format, the Kindle is also the most popular e-reader around. Read more about Amazon Kindle.
The .ePub is the most widely recognised e-book format and is used by thousands of e-readers across the world.
iBooks for iPad / iPhone
The popular iBooks platform is exclusive to the iPad and iPhone, Apple's multi-million selling tablet devices. Read more about Apple iBooks.
With the fully interactive Flippage format, you can display your files and brochures online or send them on disks. Read more about flipping book.
By having you book converted to HTML, this allows you to display is online as a functional website.
XML provides an underlying technology that gives portability of information across platforms, and applications.
Why should you chose Pearl Scan for your book scanning and digitising needs?
Here are a few reasons why you should consider Pearl Scan books scanning and conversion services:
- A decade of experience working with the most reputable companies in the UK
- Creative and friendly team of professionals who are easy to approach
- Custom built scanning bureau around security, safety, confidentiality and scalability
- One-stop service for all your book scanning and digital conversion
- Infrastructure to support small-to-large, quick-to-long terms projects
- Backed up by external quality and security audits
- Fully supported services and management system throughout the UK
- Our scanning operation have been audited and approved by many NHS, Local Authorities, Private blue chip companies to ISO 9001 (Quality Management System), ISO 27001 (Information Management System) and EMS 14001 (Environment Management System) and Data Protection 1998.
For more information feel free to give us a call:
Nationwide: 0845 22 55 923 London: 0207 183 1885
Manchester: 0161 832 7991 Birmingham: 0121 285 1900